Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore

Rome

Rome Campus

 

Focus on the person

2 Faculties, 34 institutes, 18 research centres and over 7,000 students.
57 Undergraduate programs in Medicine, Healthcare, Biotechnology, Healthcare economics and Healthcare management; more than 150 graduate programs.

The Rome campus opened in 1961 and is home to Università Cattolica's Faculty of Medicine and Surgery and the Agostino Gemelli General Hospital. In recent years is has also offered two degree program through the Faculty of Economics. Courses are taught not only at the Rome campus, but also at facilities in Piemonte, Lombardia, Alto Adige, Basilicata, Molise and other locations in Lazio.
The campus has created synergy between education, research and healthcare which is one of its great strengths: the university hospital is a centre of excellence giving students the opportunity to put into practice what they have learnt in the classroom.
Around 5,000 students are enrolled on undergraduate programmes in different areas — medicine, healthcare, biotechnology, cosmetology, healthcare economics and management. A further 2,000 students are enrolled on different graduate programmes. The campus is also home to the Graduate School of Healthcare Economics and Management (ALTEMS) which operates on both the Rome and the Milan campuses, and is jointly run by the Faculty of Medicine and Surgery and the Faculty of Economics.
There are 8 student accommodation facilities on campus — university halls of residence and “On-campus Student” halls.
Faithful to its original calling, the faculty still turns out technically and scientifically qualified graduates capable of giving an anthropological and Christian perspective to the profession, creating a work and study environment with a blend of scientific and religious visions of the world.

 


Agostino Gemelli General Hospital

Father Gemelli’s ambition, right from the founding of the university, was to establish a Faculty of Medicine and Surgery. In 1934 the faculty was given premises on Monte Mario for this purpose through a gift by Pope Pius XI to the Istituto Giuseppe Toniolo di Studi Superiori, the founding organisation of Università Cattolica. The papal authority of Pius XII then put the next phase in motion so that building work began in 1958 on the biological institutes, which were to become the seat of the faculty with the first students being admitted to the new faculty on 5 November 1961. That same year construction began of the general hospital and in May 1964 the first patients were admitted, with a ceremony being held on 10 July officially naming the hospital after Father Gemelli.
It is an elaborate imposing structure which has been developed and enlarged over the years.